Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Wild West [Borderlands Impressions]

Anyone else think multiplayer Fallout would have been cool? Good news!

Big Sis Prinny implored me (and I don't just throw around the word 'implore', for real) to check out Gearbox's Borderlands. It is a loot-driven role-playing shooter set in a sci-fi Wild West. If that sounds like the sort of thing you would like, you may want to check this out.

So far my time with four player online play has been limited, but my impression is that it runs smoothly, and once the logistics of playing with friends on headsets is realized, I think it'll be fucking money.

In my solo escapades I've been able to bring my soldier character up to Level 11, giving me enough skill points to amp up the damage dealing capability of my Scorpio Turret, my class's special action, and to activate Metal Storm, a temporary increase to firing rate and decrease to recoil, every time I kill an enemy, which predictably makes mowing through multiple enemies pretty efficient.

Millions (literally) of possible weapons, vehicles, multiplayer arenas, one hundred-sixty quests, new game+, splitscreen two player coop, nice cel-shaded graphics, and four character types to use. Who are you to resist, eh?

Normally I try to space out new game purchases, but, hell, sometimes you've got grab life by the throat and spit in its mouth.

No comments: